TECHNICAL ADVISER CHILD DEVELOPMENT (EGYPTIAN FIXED-TERM EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT)
- Job title : Child Development Technical Adviser
- Location : Cairo (Egypt)
- Report to : Country Coordinator
- General background :
Asmae is a French international solidarity NGO specialized in child development. Independent, non-religious and non-political, it is open to everyone.
Created in 1980 by Sister Emmanuelle following her experience with scavengers in Egypt’s slums, Asmae keeps on respecting its founder’s values and methods: listening and proximity, pragmatism, respect of the differences, professionalism and reciprocity.
Asmae’s action aims to support vulnerable children and their families through providing tailor-made and long lasting support to local stakeholders working on child education and protection.
Its vision, “A fair world which guarantees that children can live and grow with dignity within their environment, to become free women and men who contribute to society”, is broken down into four missions:
- Stimulate child development through a global approach. To do this, Asmae also works on family support by taking their environment into account;
- Build the capacity of local stakeholders involved in child development, boost cooperation amongst them and maximize their social impact;
- Stand up for children by raising awareness and advocating;
- Experiment, disseminate and share practices.
Nowadays Asmae supports education and protection projects through 64 local organizations in Burkina-Faso, Egypt, France, India, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali and Philippines. Furthermore, in France, Asmae also directly manages a mother and childcare center.
- Asmae in Egypt background
Asmae is registered under the Ministry of Solidarity since May 2015. Asmae promotes child education and care within two areas of intervention: the prevention of school drop-out and underperformance and the support to children with disabilities. Asmae is currently supporting eight Egyptian associations working in informal areas of Greater Cairo, in Alexandria and Arment (Luxor governorate). Asmae Egypt’ team is based in Cairo with four persons (one Coordinator, one Coordination assistant and two translators/interpreters ).
In its program “Prevention of school drop-out and underperformance”, Asmae supports five Egyptian associations including El Shehab Institute and the Egyptian Association for Comprehensive Development. Asmae supports these two association by providing them with technical and financial support.
El Shehab Institute implements a project aiming to reduce the rate of school dropoutsin Ezbet El Haggana district (Cairo). A first field study revealed that a large part of children dropping-out of school were suffering from learning difficulties and had not received any relevant support. A first pilot project was implemented in the district’s schools. A second study revealed the most common learning difficulties among these children. A second project focused on the training of school teachers in order to support children with learning difficulties; the development of a training manual (pedagogical tools and learning difficulties) ; extra-school activities for childrenand parents’ awareness. In 2015, El Shehab Institute opened listening and counselling units for children, parents and teachers as well as clubs focusing on training and sensitization for the three target groups.
The Egyptian Association for Comprehensive Development is implementing an advocacy project to advocate for the effective application of the Egypt Child’s Law in the areas of El Marg and El Fayom. Through this project, EACD works with schools local authorities, kindergartens, community-based associations and parents to promote children’s rights, with a focus on the right to education for children with special needs. First, EACD used its past experience in the field of early childhood development focusing on active learning and child global development has and transfered this expertise to other kindergartens and schools. In addition, EACD implements activities promoting children’s right to participation; activities of cooperation between stakeholders (schools, parents); and activities to promote child protection policy.
The Child Development Technical Adviser is in charge of the capacity building and training of Asmae’s partners in order to better identify children’s difficulties (violence, learning difficulties, psychological trauma, disabilities, etc.) and to design and implement intervention plans for children.
3.1. To provide Asmae’s partners with preliminary knowledge related to their work with children with difficulties
- to work with the partners in order to identify their needs of training and development in the fields of child development and psychology, Children’s Rights, Child Protection (in Egypt and worldwide), national frameworks and policies related to childhood, key stakeholders in Egypt, etc.,
- To design, with the partners, a training plan and a monitoring/evaluation system,
- To develop training modules based on identified needs
- To train Asmae’s partners according to the training plan and training modules
- To monitor and follow up the post-training and to develop monitoring/evaluation and impact measurement tools
- To provide the trainees with a training material
3.2. To support the Egyptian Association for Comprehensive Development in the design and implementation of a support plan for children with difficulties
- After the observation phase, to perform a diagnosis of EACD’s strategy, tools, methods and skills related to their work with children with difficulties (learning difficulties, handicap, psychological issues, violence, etc.),
- Based on the diagnosis as well as EACD’s experience and strategy support the partner in the design of a support plan and tools related to children with difficulties, with a focus on active learning, psychosocial approach, multidisciplinary teamwork, and the identification and referral of children
- To support EACD in the implemention of their support plan (field activities, training, monitoring/evaluation)
- To conduct a training of trainers and to select, with EACD, trainers for their partners’ training (teachers, parents, community leaders, etc.)
3.3. To support the El Shehab Institute in revising and implementing their global support plan for children with learning difficulties
- After the observation phase, to perform a diagnosis of El Shehab’s strategy, tools, methods and skills related to their work with children with difficulties (learning difficulties, handicap, psychological issues, violence, etc.),
- Based on the diagnosis and El Shehab’s experience with children, to support the partner for the revision of its strategy related to children with learning difficulties –with a focus on the diagnosis of learning difficulties, and child psychology,
- To support El Shehab in the implementation of their support plan (field activities, training, monitoring/evaluation)
- To perform a training of trainers and to select, with El Shehab, trainers for their partners’ training (teachers, parents, community leaders, etc.)
3.4. To participate in the implementation of Asmae’s strategy in Egypt
- To organize and facilitate experience sharing workshops between partners,
- To work in collaboration with the Special Education Technical Advisor on common topics such as child development and learning difficulties, etc.
- To take part in the office team activities
- To submit a monthly report to the Country Coordinator
- To submit an end of mission report to the Country Coordinator.
- Degree(s) in Social Sciences with excellent knowledge of child development.
- At least, 5 years of experience in the field of child development and/or psychology is required,
- Experience in INGO and/or association and/or of direct work with children is required,
- Experience in training of adult desirable.
- Fluent in Arabic (Egyptian Arabic, written and spoken) and English (written and spoken) is required,
- French would be an asset
- Familiar with Office Pack.
- Capacities of observation and analysis,
- Able to adapt in cultural and professional various contexts,
- Able to work with limited tools in small spaces,
- Patience, diplomacy and sense of listening,
- Ability to build confidence with various partners,
- Dynamism and initiative,
- Ability to work with a team,
- Ability to work under pressure,
- Good physical conditions.
- Practical Information
Duration: 24 months (renewable)
Starting date: ASAP
Net salary: From 8400 to 10800 Egyptian pounds, according experience
Contract: Employee under an Egyptian labor code contract.
The position is based in Cairo.
The position requires frequent travels inside Greater Cairo and possible travels to Upper Egypt.
The office languages are English, French and Arabic.
- How to apply ?
Candidates should send a detailed resume outlining their academic and professional background relevant to the proposed position, as well as a cover letter, showing the persons motivation and expertise, via our web site: https://www.asmae.fr/fr/jobs/