CHILD PROTECTION TECHNICAL ADVISOR (LEBANESE FIXED-TERM EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT)
I-General overview of position / working conditions
- Title: Child Protection Technical Advisor
- Location : Beirut (Lebanon)
- Line Manager: Project Partnership Manager
- Main functional relationships : Project Partnership Manager, Project Officer
- Status: Local fixed-term contract
Asmae is a French international solidarity NGO specialized in child development. It is independent, non-religious, non-political, and open to everyone.
Created in 1980 by Sister Emmanuelle following her experience with scavengers in Egypt’s slums, Asmae keeps on respecting its founder’s values and methods: listening and proximity, pragmatism, respect of the differences, professionalism and reciprocity.
Asmae’s action aims to support vulnerable children and their families through providing tailor-made and long lasting support to local stakeholders working on education and child protection.
Its vision, “A fair world which guarantees that children can live and grow with dignity within their environment, to become free women and men who contribute to society”, is broken down into four missions:
- Stimulate child development through a global approach. To do this, Asmae also works on family support by taking their environment into account;
- Build the capacity of local stakeholders involved in child development, boost cooperation amongst them and maximize their social impact;
- Stand up for children by raising awareness and advocating;
- Experiment, disseminate and share practices.
Nowadays Asmae supports education and child protection projects through 64 local organizations in Burkina-Faso, Egypt, France, India, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali and the Philippines. Furthermore, in France, Asmae also directly manages a mother and childcare center.
II- Background on Asmae in Lebanon
Asmae has been working in Lebanon since 1986 (a local coordination office opened in 2005). Asmae is currently working in partnership with six local organizations in the fields of education, child protection and adolescence & youth support. Activities are located in Beirut/Greater Beirut, Central and North Bekaa (Zahle and Hermel), South Lebanon (Tebnine) as well as Palestinian camps. Asmae’s team in Lebanon is composed of three members (1 Country Representative, 1 Project & Partnership Manager and 1 Administration and Finance Officer), working at our country office in Beirut.
Specific context of the role:
In the framework of its Country Strategy 2018-2020, Asmae has prioritized child protection as a main domain of intervention. The Advisor will be in charge of supporting all child protection-related activities, under the corresponding thematic area: “Protection and care of children at risk”. He/she will also be in charge of mainstreaming child protection into other thematic areas, i.e. “Prevention of school drop-out and underperformance”, “Support to children with disabilities” and “Adolescence support”.
III- Mission and responsibilities
According to Asmae’s values and response mode, and under supervision of Asmae’s Country Representative in Lebanon, the Advisor will:
3.1 Implementation of the Child Protection Policy
- Contribute to the elaboration and implementation of the Child Protection Policy
- Train Asmae staff and partners on child safeguarding
- Elaborate tools and indicators to monitor the policy’s implementation by Asmae and its partners
- Contribute to any administrative or other tasks entrusted by the Country Representative (i.e.: organization of meetings or workshops).
3.2 Conduct research and collect data on child protection
- Contribute to the design of now proposals/programmes on child protection aspects; ensure compliance with Asmae’s global guidelines on child protection programming
- Lead a collective evidence-based study on child protection in Lebanon, including through the elaboration of the methodology
- Develop specific indicators and collect relevant data from partners with the aim to feed M&E processes
3.3 Strengthen partners’ child protection capacities
- Provide training on child protection to partners’ staff
- Collaborate with partners and other experts on the development of inclusion (disability) mainstreaming guidelines into partners’ interventions
3.4 Be Asmae Lebanon’s voice on child protection
- Participate and actively contribute in team meetings and seminars organized by Asmae
- Participate in external child protection-related meetings and other fora
- Write various documents (monthly reports, internal capitalization, articles, etc) on child protection matters
IV - PROFILE
4.1 Education / Experience
- Master’s degree in social sciences or/and education science or in related field
- Experience in NGO and/or association and/or direct work with children is required
- At least 5 years of training and/or programme management experience
4.2 Professional skills required
- Good knowledge of the Lebanese child protection environment and context, including e.g. legal framework, situation of Syrian/Palestinian refugees, street children, children with disabilities, etc.
- TOT techniques
- Fluency in English (Minimum level of B2 according to the Common European Framework Reference for Languages)
- Fluency in Arabic
- Fluency in French is an asset
- Pack office Management : Specialist level of Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Skype and Expert level of Excel
- Ability to build trustable relationships with different partners and stakeholders, diplomacy
- Observation, analysis and synthesis capacities,
- Listening and flexibility capacities,
- Team spirit
- Dynamism and initiative
V – PRACTICAL INFORMATION:
- Place of work: Beirut (Ain El Remmaneh), Lebanon, regular field visits (pending security clearance)
- Status: Lebanese fixed-term employment contract (full time job)
- Duration: 12 months
- Starting date: March 2018
- Salary: 3,750,000 – 4,050,000 LPB according to experience
VI – HOW TO APPLY?
Candidates should send a detailed resume outlining their academic and professional background relevant to the proposed position, as well as a cover letter, showing the persons motivation and expertise, via our web site: https://www.asmae.fr/fr/jobs/